Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu


Legend by Marie Lu
Release Date: November 29th 2011
Publisher: Penguin Group
Edition: Paperback, 295 pages
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

My Rating: 5/5 stars

From Goodreads: "What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills."



I have been recommended this book on more than one occasion since its release in November and I finally picked it up with some Christmas money (before the book buying ban).

*Spoiler alert* Legend follows the story of June and Day, two people from opposite ends of the spectrum. June is one of the brightest kids, scoring the top most score on her test. Day on the other hand failed and was to never see his family again. For reasons unknown, Day is the Republic's most wanted criminal.  He does not carry guns, nor does he kill. That is until June's brother gets caught up chasing Day from a break in. Day is wounded and Metias wont give in. So in Day's last few minutes on consciousness he throws his knife. A killing blow, ripping June from her last living relative. 

June is the kind of smart that Brennan from Bones is, she isn't quite sure of the social standard and can come off like she is being a smart alec. She was bumped up to their equivalent of university by 4 years and graduates in half the time of any other student. 

Day is in hiding from the soldiers but he needs to take care of his family. The family he was forced to leave. He and his friend Tess are almost constantly together and watching his family. If his family gets the red cross on their door, it means they have the plague and are destined to die. One night Day sees his family's door get a red cross. But instead of the usual red cross there's has a line down the middle. Very strange. And this is where the story starts to get really interesting!

I found myself loving and hating both of the characters many times in this book. That is what makes this story so unique. In many books we love the two main characters or even just one of them the entire way through a story. But not Legend! Marie Lu has created a relationship between her readers and the two characters unlike anything I have experienced before, this is what makes Legend unique. 

Legend is fast paced and action filled. I finished it in one sitting, it was just too good to split over a couple! Marie Lu has left me pining away for more!

If you haven't already read Legend, I highly recommend it!

Happy reading!
- Amy

5 comments:

  1. Aww Amy I'm so happy you liked this! I agree about Day and June they were both so unique as characters and both their perspectives well awesome and equally interesting! Lovely review my dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Legend! It sounds like such an amazing book. Awesome review, Amy! So glad you enjoyed it!! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it, but I WANT TO! Great review!

    Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! Amy! Someone actually sent me a copy of Legend this week, and now I'm SO EXCITED TO READ IT! EEEE!
    Your review? AMAZING xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab review. I noted to come back here once I'd read Legend to say whether I agreed or not... and yup! Similar thoughts on this one. I hadn't really thought of Brennan re June, but now that you say it I can see that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :) so leave me some love <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...